Syphilis Research & Resources
- "The Tuskagee Syphilis Experiment," by Borgna Brunner
"For 40 years between 1932 and 1972, the U.S. Public Health Service (PHS) conducted an experiment on 399 black men in the late stages of syphilis. These men, for the most part illiterate sharecroppers from one of the poorest counties in Alabama, were never told what disease they were suffering from or of its seriousness
- "Primary syphilis," Eccleston, Kathryn (MRCP) et al; International Journal of STD & AIDS, Vol. 19, November 2008 (pp. 145-151)
Quite a few good photos of primary syphilis chancres.
- "UK National Guidelines on the Management of Syphilis 2008," Kingston, M. (BMBS MRCP) et al, International Journal of STD & AIDS, Vol. 19, November 2008 (pp. 729-740)
Syphilis treatment guidelines.
- "Neurosyphilitic gumma in a homosexual man with HIV infection confirmed by polymerase chain reaction," Morshed, Muhammad G. (MSc PhD) et al, International Journal of STD & AIDS, Vol. November 2008 (pp. 568-569)
Case study of a brain gumma, a rare manifestation of the tertiary stage of syphilis.
- "The pathogenesis of syphilis: The Great Mimicker, revisited," Peeling, Rosanna W.; Hook, Edward W.; Journal of Pathology, No. 208, Wiley InterScience, 2006 (pp. 224-232)
"Many questions remain about how T. pallidum biology contributes to distinctive features of syphilis, such as its ability to persist in the presence of a brisk host response or its propensity for neuro-invasion and congenital transmission
- "Evaluation of syphilis in patients with HIV infection in Nigeria," Nnoruka, E.N.; Ezeoke, A.C.J.; Tropical Medicine and International Health, Vol. 10, No. 1, January 2005 (pp. 58-64)
"Objective wqas to document the manifestations of syphilis among patients with concurrent HIV infection over a 12-month period
- Syphilis: New spread of an old disease. Vlieghe, Erika; STD/HIV Unit, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp. June 2005
Powerpoint presentation with photos, statistics, graphs and posters.
- The Great Pretender Comes to Ward 86: Syphilis cases from HIV/AIDS clinic, Jacobson, Mark (MD); UCFC, San Francisco, December 2005
Powerpoint presentation, case studies of drop-in clinic patients treated for syphilis. Lots of clear photos.
- Syphilis Testing: RPR and Confirmatory. Phesspelt
Powerpoint presentation, lists the various tests and laboratory diagnosis.
- "Abnormal Laboratory Values in HIV Disease," Spach, David H. (MD); Bartlett, John G. (MD); A Guide to Primary Care of People with HIV/AIDS, Chapter 10. HIV/AIDS Bureau, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Short section on testing and treatment options for syphilis, "What do you do when a patient has a positive VDRL or RPR?"
- Déja Vu: AIDS in historical perspective on IDEAS, CBC Radio, January 9 & 10, 1996. (outside link)
"A mysterious epidemic, hitherto unknown, which had struck terror into all hearts by the rapidity of its spread, the ravages it made, and the apparent helplessness of the physicians to cure it." A quote about AIDS? No. It's about the appearance of syphilis in the early sixteenth century. Writer Colman Jones finds the two diseases share issues, from science and public health to civil liberties and sexuality
- Lest We Forget: Syphilis in the AIDS era Produced by Colman Jones. (outside link)
Edited one-hour summary of award-winning TV series, "The Cause of AIDS: Fact and Speculation." (Watch with Real Player.)