The House on the Hill
The buildings on Parliament Hill were built between 1865 and 1927. The original Centre Block was built in 1867 in the Victorian Gothic style with turrets, arches, gargoyles and wrought iron details. This building housed much of the Government of Canada during the early days of Confederation. The Library of Parliament opened in 1876.
In 1916, the Centre Block was destroyed by fire. The only remaining original pieces of the building are the Library of Parliament, the Bell from the Tower, and the foundation under the southeast corner. Reconstruction was completed in 1920, the Peace Tower was finished in 1927. Some sections from the ruins of the old Centre Block were moved to the grounds of the Mackenzie King Estate in Gatineau Park, Quebec.
The West Block was designed in the Gothic Revival style by architects Thomas Stent and Augustus Laver, and was built between 1859 and 1865 by Jones, Haycock and Clarke. Two extensions were later added: the Mackenzie Wing and Tower(1875-1878) and the Laurier Tower and Link (1905-1906).
The East Block was built in two stages (1867 and 1910).