June 24, 1992|
c/o Ontario Provincial Police
90 Harbour Street
Dear Ms. D:
It has come to the attention of the Ontario Provincial Police that as the result of a series of incidents that have given rise to an investigation, the police are of the view that your safety may be at risk. We are advised by the police that you wish to relocate in order to pursue your education in a safe environment and that you require assistance to do so.
I am authorized to indicate to you that the Ministry of the Attorney General, through the Ontario Provincial Police, has agreed to assist you as follows:
- Providing funds to assist you in relocating including:
- reasonable costs associated with moving your furniture and belongings;
- three months security deposit at your current residence up to $500.00 per month;
- legal fees associated with the advice sought and obtained in relation to entering this agreement and matters related to the fulfilment of the agreement, which costs have been arranged between counsel;
- Providing funds to assist you with your rent and maintenance for a period of twelve (12) months commencing approximately July 1, 1992 and concluding June 30, 1993 including:
- rent and utilities for an apartment in a location approved by the Ontario Provincial Police at a cost not to exceed approximately $850.00 per month;
- a telephone and long distance telephone allowance of up to $250.00 per month;
- the cost of food and incidentals at $225.00 per week;
- the cost of tuition, books and an allowance to rent or purchase a personal computer, the total not to exceed $3,000.00;
- a travel allowance to permit contact with professionals in locations outside Toronto not to exceed $175.00 per month;
- Reviewing your situation at the end of twelve (12) months with the assistance of the police to determine if any extension of the agreement is warranted bearing in mind the status of any charges before the courts, if laid.
- Items 2(a), 2(b), 2(c), 2(e) will be provided to you every two weeks. All other costs will be paid by the police directly to the service providers or as may be arranged by the police after consulting with you. Receipts need be provided as requested by the police.
It must be understood that:
Yours very truly,
- THE ASSISTANCE PROVIDED TO YOU AS DESCRIBED ABOVE SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN BY YOU TO BE A BENEFIT OR A REWARD FOR PROVIDING STATEMENTS TO THE POLICE OR FOR TESTIFYING. THE ASSISTANCE IS PROVIDED TO YOU OUT OF A CONCERN FOR YOUR SAFETY.
- YOU MUST TESTIFY TRUTHFULLY AT ANY CRIMINAL PROCEEDINGS TO WHICH YOU ARE SUBPOENAED.
- YOU MUST ANSWER ALL POLICE INQUIRIES IN A TRUTHFUL MANNER AND YOU WILL MAKE YOURSELF AVAILABLE FOR SUCH MEETINGS AS ARE NECESSARY TO ENABLE THE CROWN TO PREPARE ITS CASE, SHOULD CHARGES BE LAID.
- YOU MUST USE THE FUNDS PROVIDED FOR THE DESIGNATED PURPOSES AND FOR NO OTHER PURPOSE.
- YOU MUST COMPLY WITH ANY POLICE REQUIREMENT TO KEEP A DESIGNATED OFFICER ADVISED OF YOUR CURRENT ADDRESS AND TELEPHONE NUMBER AND YOU AGREE NOT TO MOVE FROM THAT ADDRESS UNLESS THE OFFICER APPROVES.
- YOU WILL DO NOTHING TO JEOPARDIZE THE SECURITY ARRANGEMENTS MADE ON YOUR BEHALF AND YOU WILL NOT DISCLOSE THE CONTENTS OF THIS AGREEMENT TO ANYONE EXCEPT YOUR FAMILY, YOUR COUNSEL, A COURT, THE POLICE OR A GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE INVOLVED IN THIS CASE OR CASES.
- YOU WILL NOT ASSOCIATE WITH PERSONS KNOWN BY YOU TO HAVE A CRIMINAL RECORD (EXCEPT IN RELATION TO WORK) OR WITH ANY OTHER PERSON AS THE POLICE SPECIFY.
- YOU WILL RESPOND WITH DISPATCH TO ANY ADVICE GIVEN TO YOU BY THE DESIGNATED OFFICER.
- YOU WILL MAKE ALL REASONABLE EFFORTS TO UPGRADE YOUR EDUCATION OR MAINTAIN GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT.
- YOU WILL KEEP THE PEACE AND BE OF GOOD BEHAVIOUR.
- YOU WILL REFRAIN ABSOLUTELY FROM THE USE OR CONSUMPTION OF NON-PRESCRIBED OR ILLEGAL DRUGS.
- FAILURE TO ABIDE BY ANY OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT MAY RESULT IN IT BEING CANCELLED WITHOUT NOTICE.
- OTHER THAN THE ARRANGEMENTS DESCRIBED IN THIS LETTER, NEITHER THE ONTARIO PROVINCIAL POLICE NOR THE MINISTRY OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL FOR THE PROVINCE OF ONTARIO HAVE ANY ADDITIONAL FINANCIAL OR OTHER COMMITMENT TO YOU.
- YOU FOREVER RELEASE THE ONTARIO PROVINCIAL POLICE ARISING OUT OF THE ABOVE DESCRIBED INVESTIGATION AND THAT FORCE'S INVOLVEMENT IN WITNESS PROTECTION AND THE MINISTRY OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL FOR THE PROVINCE OF ONTARIO, THEIR AGENTS AND/OR SERVANTS INVOLVED IN THIS CASE OR CASES FROM ANY AND ALL CLAIMS OR CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF YOUR ROLE AS A POTENTIAL WITNESS OR WITNESS IN THE CASE(S). YOU UNDERSTAND THAT THIS CONSTITUTES A FULL AND FINAL SETTLEMENT FOR ANY AND ALL CLAIMS BOTH PRESENT AND FUTURE AGAINST THE ONTARIO PROVINCIAL POLICE AND THE MINISTRY OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL FOR THE PROVINCE OF ONTARIO, THEIR AGENTS AND/OR SERVANTS INVOLVED IN THE INVESTIGATIONS AND CASES, IF ANY.
Murray D. Segal
I have read this letter and I|
agree with its contents and I
understand my obligations.
DATED at this day of , 1992