Tuesday, January 21, 2003

South African Press Association

Massacre: Deathtoll still at 8

CAPE TOWN — The death toll in the Sea Point massacre remains at eight and not nine as earlier reported.

Groote Schuur Hospital spokesperson Philippa Johnson said on Tuesday afternoon that incorrect information had been given to the media earlier on Tuesday, when it announced that a man in his 40s died at 10:00.

Johnson said this was a mistake.

The two remaining survivors of the massacre were still alive in the hospital.

The man in his 40s was still in the hospital's intensive care unit.

A second man in his 20s was reported to be stable.

Johnson said a nurse confused on Tuesday's "death" with the death of one of the wounded victims in hospital on Monday.

"We've got no identities of any of the victims so there was some confusion," Johnson said.

Six of the men were found dead in the house. Four were taken to hospital and of these, two died later in hospital on Monday.

[World 2003] [News by region] [News by topic]

Created: April 12, 2003
Last modified: April 12, 2003
CSIS Commercial Sex Information Service
Box 3075, Vancouver, BC V6B 3X6
Tel: +1 (604) 488-0710