Tuesday, January 21, 2003
Massacre: 2 sex workers sought
CAPE TOWN Western Cape police were on Tuesday looking for two men who may be able to help them in the investigation into the massacre at an all-male massage parlour in Sea Point.
Eight men were shot dead execution style early on Monday morning, and some had their throat slit, at a house in Graham Road operating under the "Sizzlers" banner.
Two others, seriously injured, were being treated in Groote Schuur Hospital.
One man, in his 40s, was in a critical condition while the other, in his 20s, was stable, a hospital spokesperson said.
Police spokesperson Captain Etienne Terblanche said police would like to contact two men, "Stephen" and "Maruan", who might have previously worked at Sizzlers.
Terblanche said the attack at the massage parlour might have been aimed at "these two individuals" who were not at the house in Graham Road at the time of the killing.
"We believe they have information that can assist in the investigation," Terblanche said.
Johannesburg's Star newspaper quoted detectives as saying the two male prostitutes had angered gang bosses in Johannesburg and fled back to Cape Town.
"The gunmen were apparently unable to extract the whereabouts of Stephen and Maruan from their victims.
They then shot everyone in the head, slit their throats with a carpet knife and left them for dead," the newspaper said.
Terblanche requested that anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of Stephen and Maruan contact investigators Inspector Morris on 082-699-1440 or Captain Talmakkies on 082-808-5036.
Police suspect attack was drug related
Terblanche said police suspected the attack was in revenge and could possibly be related to drugs.
Terblanche said post mortems on some of the victims were carried out on Tuesday and could continue on Wednesday.
He said the names of the eight victims could not be released. None of the victims were identified by their immediate families.
"At least four of the victims were identified by police using their ID documents while three others were identified by family members," Terblanche said.
He said police were still trying to contact the victims' immediate families.
Terblanche said the two survivors were under police guard for their own safety.
"Their safety is obviously of concern and we have them under police guard," Terblanche said.
Search continues for four suspects
Meanwhile, the search for four white men who were seen leaving the crime scene on Monday was continuing.
The Gay and Lesbian Equality Group has established a victims support fund to assist victims of the massacre.
The organisation's director Evert Knoesen said full details could be obtained on their website at www.equality.org.za.
"Members of the community, both locally and internationally, are encouraged to contribute towards this fund," Knoesen said.
Created: January 24, 2003
Last modified: January 24, 2003
Commercial Sex Information Service
Box 3075, Vancouver, BC V6B 3X6
Tel: +1 (604) 488-0710